AustinHigh.org Forum Index AustinHigh.org
An online community for alumni and students of Stephen F. Austin High School in Austin, Texas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meet and Greet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Chin
Site Admin

Class of 1984

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Meet and Greet Reply with quote

You can introduce yourself to other AustinHigh.org members here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Class Year *
Andrew Chin
Site Admin

Class of 1984

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... And I'll start. I'm a 37-year-old law professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I teach antitrust and intellectual property law. Married in 1999 (Judy is a lawyer by day and competitive figure skater at night and weekends), no children. Peripheral interests have mostly been academic (20 years on university campuses will do that to you), and have narrowed even further during my years on the tenure track. I hope the process will reverse with the advent of parenthood. I look back on my Austin High years as the period of greatest intellectual and emotional ferment in my life. Nurturing this Web site is, I think, a way for me to keep faith with that time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Class Year *
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling most people on here already know a good bit about me (either from before or from all my posts... Embarassed ) but here goes...

I'm originally from Santiago, Chile and moved to Texas with my family when I was 11. I went to SFA/AHS all 4 years of high school and was a Red Jacket (one among a long line in the family). At AHS I met and began dating my husband, Zach Hogan. He was also a class of '98er and played football. High school wasn't exactly the "high point" of my life (it was later, in college, that I more fully "grew into my skin") but I did meet people who would have huge influences on my life-- Zach, my best friend, and my step-family.

I went to swTSU in San Marcos for college and spent a good 5 yrs there before finally graduating with my BS in Psych (bio minor) in May '03. Last July ('03) I moved to Silicon Valley with Zach, and we married in January. I'm working with an after-school program currently, teaching 6th graders. In the fall I hope to start a teacher training program for montessori, after which I'll be trained to teach 3-6 yrs olds.

We're trying to make the most of life in California while we're here and free of kiddoes. It's awesome living so close to both gorgeous beaches and mountains, but we do definitely miss Texas (or, more accurately, Austin) and may find ourselves back there...sometime. The west coast is great but in a few years we'll probably get outpriced when we finally want to buy a house and then we'll see where we end up.

I guess that's about it... Oh, my hobbies/interests include dancing, reading, shopping, scrapbooking, and hiking. =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Cristina L. Cox

Class of 1995

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the *younger* sister is supposed to copy the *older* sister, but we'll do it backwards this time... Wink

Being Marcy's older sister, I also grew up in Santiago. I was 14 when we moved here; I had just finished 8th grade (I missed out on my 8th grade graduation... still upset about that) and jumped right into 9th grade in November - right before 1st semester finals (which was a blast, since the first semester of geography had been all US geography - I knew three states: Texas, California and Florida). Now, if you do the math, you'll see that I skipped out of the first semester of my freshman year... I cleverly avoided all the awkward moments and embarrasing situations I read in books and later saw in living color on "Saved By The Bell." HAHA!

After SFA - but, before moving on, I must claim credit for beginning the Cox Clan tradition of RJ's... I was only on the team my senior year (I had no idea there was a team until I took Dance my junior year for my PE credit; part of the downside of coming from another country where they don't have drill teams), but both my "blood" little sisters, Marcy and Jenny Cox, went on to become RJs (the step-sisters were on the team too, but I don't know if it would be fair to claim credit for them). And it was through Red Jackets that my mom met her new husband, creating the Cox/Donovan/Drake Clan which has now become the Carswell/Cox/Donovan/Drake Clan (try to fit all that on a CalledID screen). So, in short, it was all due to *ME.* Cool (bowing) Oh, thank you, thank you - oh, you're too much. Thank you, you're too kind...

As I was saying, after SFA I had some issues with the University of Texas at Austin, a battle which they won and remind me of every month when the loan people drain my bank acount. I did get a BA in Spanish Lit and Secondary Teacher Certification, which were slightly useful during the two years I taught high school Spanish at Cinco Ranch High School in Katy, TX. (If I made enough money I'd be in therapy from those two years, but as I said, I'm a teacher...)

I met my loving husband in Katy, one of those events which reminds you that God is in control and He has a plan, there is a reason why I went through those two years. We now live in Bedford, in the DFW area, and God must have felt really bad about the whole Katy thing because I now have the most wonderful job at the coolest school with the awesomest principal. I'm teaching third grade in the Spanish Immersion program; I have my class of 23 English-speaking students who are with me all day, and I teach them all their subjects in Spanish, the language arts time is split 50/50 Eng/Spn.

In the marriage I gained the most adorable four-year-old step-daughter ever (view photos under Marcy's post of alumni she knows). Don't know how she's turned out so well-adjusted considering the situation she's grown up in, but she is. And so smart she's scary. (Who, me, proud? Nah...)

In my free time (HAHAHAhaha...haha...ha... OK, sorry 'bout that) I'm working on a writing career. I'm working on a young adult novel and have written a few short stories - nothing published yet, but give me time!

That's about it for me... oh, one more thing - I spend way too much time on this site, when I should be doing other things such as sleeping when it's past midnight on a school night and I have to be up at 6 tomorrow. Shocked
Richard Merrill

Class of 1983

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a band geek at SFA, and continued that for a few years at UT, playing trombone in the Longhorn Band. Squeezed a four year Mechanical Engineering degree into five years, then got a job after graduation working on the Space Shuttle Operations contract for NASA in Houston. The contractor company I work for has changed names a few times, but I'm still here almost 16 years later, working on flight design software. I still play trombone in a local community concert band here in Houston. I also sing in the church choir. My wife and I are expecting a baby girl in May, so my snow skiing, volleyball, bike riding, hiking, etc. might be cut back a bit...
Antony Gavin Morgan

Class of 1986

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start by expressing my sincere gratitude to Andrew Chin for putting this together. I just discovered the site today (4-28-2004), and I am thrilled by the possibility of catching up with old friends. Kudos to ya!!

Last edited by Antony Gavin Morgan on Sat May 05, 2007 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
april rendon

Class of 2007

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: i attend austin high school as a sophomere right now Reply with quote

i attend austin high school and i think it is preety cool of this website to talk to the old maroon students
Michael J. Moore

Class of 1981

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get back to Austin much these days, and I havn't actually been on campus since the mid 1980's. I have driven by it several times. These days I don't get to Austin much. Between my job (I am an Elementary School Librarian) money, and the distance I have to travel I don't get back to Austin much. I moved to the New York state because my ex-wife took a job as professor at Syracuse University. I was last in Austin around Christmas, but didn't make it to A.H.S. I hope that I can see it again someday soon. I have very fond memories, and a good close knit group of friends that I am still in touch with today. I hope that those I lost track of will find me here, and say hello, one more time.
Pete Williams

Class of 1971

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin High has a special place in my memory, and I visit the old building every now and then when I'm in town.

I was in the Choir, participated in the drama productions, Oklahoma, Kiss Me Kate, and Bye Bye Birdie. I was the cartoonist for the school paper throughout most of my 3 years there. All of these activities represented me trying extra hard to bust out of my shell and be somebody.

My worst experience was P.E. class, because I was terrible at just about everything there (even volleyball!)

After school I bounced around in bands, trying to be a rock musician. I got married in 1976. My wife and I have raised 5 children. I have a small design and ad firm, The Pete Williams Agency, in New Braunfels. I play bass in a party band, and (my favorite thing) I do solo performances in bars and clubs with my son accompanying me on lead guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Class Year *
Rob Buford

Class of 1985

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with a lot of you. Others may or may not know me from Austin High. I spent my teenage years in Austin as a notorious punk rocker and skateboarder. I became immersed in the Austin music scene at a very young age, sharing the bill with many notable touring punk acts of the era such as the Misfits, the Circle Jerks, Black Flag, JFA, Minor Threat, Fang, and many others. I also spent a lot of time playing with local punk acts the Big Boys, the Dicks, the Offenders, the Butthole Surfers and even the metal band Watchtower.

After growing up a little bit, I decided to develop some conventional accolades. I graduated from Texas A&M in 1992 and then got a couple post grad degrees, one in law from the University of Denver and a masters in public health from the University of Texas.

The rumor that I am now a lawyer in Austin is true--I’m Board Certified in Criminal Law and handle mostly DWI cases. I still play in local bands and also perform on the classical guitar

So hello to all my old punk buddies from Austin High—you know who you are. Keep the faith and fight the power!

Last edited by Rob Buford on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: